Favourite Books

  • The Green Mile
  • Animal Farm
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird

Sunday 29 September 2024

Communication Break Down

Ahhh...I had hoped I would not be writing again, until after the Oncologist meeting Oct. 2nd. but..here I am. 

No, things have not been easy. Chuck has been medicated heavily since the radiation, and sleeps most of the time. He has been headache free, until yesterday. Started his day late, I made him a usual breakfast of cream of wheat with peaches, and toast, and a cup of coffee, plus a couple of sunny side up eggs. His appetite has been pretty good, likely helped by the steroids. I knew something was off when he just pecked at things, he also is taking what he calls Happy Juice that provides gut stability and energy. Barely swallowed a few mouthfuls. Then he started vomiting heavily . That was very wearing for someone who is weak to begin with, and he was back in bed for hours. I gave him the medication he had been prescribed at the beginning of this for nausea, he had not needed this up until this point. 

Now I am always researching, so I went in to see all the side effects of the steroids he was on, including withdrawal symptoms. Headaches, fatigue, mood change, taste change, vomiting, all listed. I went into this further, clearly been on them for over 3 weeks is more involved, more side effects as what this does is provide cortisone , to help with inflammation, but while doing this, one's adrenal gland stops producing it's own cortisol, we all need it just specific levels, so when your body is getting it "artificially" your gland just takes a holiday. Clearly his system is out of whack and it needs to reset.

Now I was concerned as he did attempt to eat something later last night, it went down, but came right back up as soon as he laid down. 9PM is a little late ,plus being a Saturday ER was the only option, but, wait....There was the nurses' Hotline, you know that number each and every phone call to a Northern Health clinic suggests one calls with questions before going to the ER. I gave that a try, we were informed the wait time would be approx. 1 hr. Hey, I was up for that to get some sort of answer, 1 hr. passes, 2 hrs. pass, ahh 3 hrs later I finally have someone on the phone. I kind of knew what reply I would get, as this is a nurse answering, and not a Dr. and I was right, she suggested I call 911 and have him taken to ER. Perhaps instead of RN's answering these numbers, a Nurse Practitioner would be a better idea? They are not as limited on issues as an RN, and I do believe in this screwed up system, our Health care folks should utilize practitioners a whole lot more. I digress...I woke the poor man up out of a very sound sleep at midnight, to tell him what I was told. He was wide awake and told me we could wait until morning. He knows himself better than me, so I agreed.

Much better this morning, however still weak and extremely tired, he had a breakfast of Cream of wheat and toast, and off we went to our local ER. 

The waiting room was pretty full, however when I registered him and explained he was a Cancer patient, he was immediately given a bed because he is immunocompromised. All good, my youngest and I thought, that was until the nurse decided to do up her chart. Now, it is very apparent he is tired and weak, and that folks is why I go everywhere with him, as I am his advocate. This is the first lesson one learns in the Health Care system in our province, I am not a medical professional, I am not a legal professional, however, my job is to make sure he gets the care he deserves, as well, I give him his medication, and keep track of what is going on. Instantly she starts on his chemo , explaining vomiting and lack of energy are common.That is when I spoke up, trying to explain to her he has not been on Chemo since May..the reply I got made me sit back in shock...I was told, " I am speaking to him, he is an adult, and he knows best what is bothering him. The Dr. will see everything when she opens his chart,"I am not kidding folks!! So I listened to him tell her stuff that was confusing at best, but hey, she clearly knew better. She went on and on about his cane..WTF has that got anything to do with why he was there.."did you get it from ER?" "where did you get the cane?" My daughter and I just kept rolling our eyes, and she kept looking at us doing it. I had the medication names written down, I had the date of the radiation written down, I had the medication I had given him when he was nauseous written down, she was not in the least interested. When she was done speaking with him, she did ask him if any of his family members had something to add..I simply told her "not at this time" why bother???This was a prime example of what is wrong, this person did not want to communicate in the best interest of the patient. I had plenty of information I could have given her in his regard, but  she was not open to it at all. 

Now thankfully Dr. Kim was on ER duty. She had absolutely no problem speaking with all 3 of us. I explained the dosage of the steroid and side effects he had , and she took the time to listen, and told us this was normal and not to worry. She said he is doing extremely well under the circumstances and we are just to continue without worry of the withdrawal as it is proceeding as it should. The vomiting was simply something that happens sometimes. Go home, try and ensure he eats and drinks, and wait until we see the Oncologist to see what she decides to do next. 

This nurse assuming his charts will tell the whole story is out of the loop. We have all his medical reports since the beginning of this, they are full of gaps, therefore it is more than likely his chart has some of these gaps as well. She is the reason mistakes happen, because she assumes she knows it all. This is our life, we keep our records of every day, pretty much, we recognize changes quickly, because we are focused on one person. Dr. Kim over the years has clearly learned this, and uses it , rather than trusting a chart alone. 

I am done letting mistakes happen, today I allowed this person to feel she was in control, simply because I knew Dr. Kim would follow. Perhaps this nurse feels it is her job, but it is our life, so I hope she watches the Dr. and learns communication skills are very important in her line of work. 

Please folks, if any of you are on this same road, do not simply stay silent, you know when something does not seem right, speak up. Quality care is what Northern Health claims to offer, we know this is a lie, so our job is to insist on it, even when you get so tired of dealing with the cluster F*cks that happen on a continual basis..they need to be responsible for their lack of care and most importantly their communication gaps that abound in a place that mistakes mean life or death!!

3 comments:

  1. Sending a PM, Deb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. Some are so defensive and that puts up a block where communicating would have helped. I'd ask for another nurse

    ReplyDelete