Favourite Books

  • The Green Mile
  • Animal Farm
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird

Friday 13 March 2015

Slap in the Face.

 Help!!! I just want to push the pause button in life, right now. Too much going on. I need to sit back, and do some shuffling. Some things need to be put aside, and not allowed to infringe upon my time, or thoughts. I wish I knew the secret hiding place for that button, but just can't seem to find it.
  See, work...it is pretty insane. No matter how many times I have promised myself that I was not going to let my job become my priority, I can't seem to stop it. I just finished 8 days in a row, in a workplace that is non-stop. It  has been just a wee bit longer since I found out I will be leaving this work place, and everything else around here in a matter of months, and still..the job has overshadowed absolutely everything else on my plate. My better half has gone off to work, a full days drive from here, and still..work has controlled my life.
  I am trying very hard to accept, by summer, my job, will no longer be a part of who I am. I know that very soon, all the problems, and the drama, and sheer stupidity, will fall on the shoulders of someone else. Oh, it won't be my buddy, the one who has been beside me through all of these years, working like a fool, in truth, a bigger fool than I. Nope, she beat me to a place where the job has become secondary, she has laid down her rules, and now she will flit in when she chooses, she writes her name on the schedule when it is convenient for her, and not because no one else wants to work on the ever popular weekends off. Yep, I have had the amazing pleasure in the past year, of working nearly every weekend, many of those with one other sorry individual, and..sometimes all by myself. I spent the last summer choking on forest fire smoke, running about like a lunatic, dealing with the lives of so many others, who unlike myself, don't seem to understand, that a person's private life, has no bearing on the workplace.
  The job I have, is very different than that of, say someone who works in a bank. On the door to our little room, we have a huge calender. Each month, everyone write in their availability. Most of the time, this is done in 2 week increments. When times are slow, it is not an issue when only 2 workers end up covering one day, however, when the place is packed full, this is unacceptable.
  See, as one who has spent years at this job, years when we had, on top of what these "new" workers experience, a whole other hotel to clean, those of us working had consideration. We knew some days, certain staff ended up with massive amounts of work, so we would push through our own jobs, and head back to help our fellow employee. They in turn, would do the same for us. Weekends were not something we even considered, they were often taboo. We were never allowed the same days off, we often had to work long periods in a row, before we could take specific days off needed for family special days. It wasn't nice, it was a lot of hard work in order to receive a pay cheque, but those of us working had made the decision we wanted a job, and that was what we had to do to keep it. Yep, over time I left this job more than once, because the rules did not suit my life, I had to make a decision, family or job, and..sometimes family won.
  Today, it is a whole new ball of wax. Names are written on the schedule (which we never had in the past) and no thought or consideration given to those spots that have a single name beside them. No one gives a damn if one person is left to do the work that 4 or 5 people get a full days pay for the other 5 days of the week. Do they not wonder why their employer is fine with handing out pay cheques to everyone with 5-6 hours work time on the card for 5 people on Friday, and 8 hours for one person on Saturday? This is the way it works. That one person who is left holding the ball, has to step up to the plate and work like an idiot. I can do it, I have, more than once. My buddy can do it, she has also done more than her share. We have perhaps one or two others who can manage, but, one can imagine the work load placed on this single person. When the work is all done, they are toasted. Then what they have to do, is take a day off during their scheduled time, because they are so frigging worn out from doing the work of the others who had no consideration, and..instead of getting 5 days work, they have to cut their wages because they did a days work for 4 other people.
  Oh, don't think I have dreamed of leaving those who do this on a regular basis, holding the bag. Never going to happen. O.K. I suppose it just might happen. It just might happen now, because I won't feel any consideration, I won't be here. My buddy won't feel this consideration, she has finally stepped back. Those who look at the schedule and see nothing but themselves, may very well find out what it is like doing the work of the whole crew, all by themselves, and getting paid single wages after completing the work of 5.
  The world has become a very different place, when it comes to jobs. Now folks feel they are doing employers a favour by blessing them with their presence. No one worries about the possibility of getting fired, around these parts firings seldom occur. The work force is limited, employees are under the impression they can slack off when the urge hits them, they can decide to blow shifts, spend a day making puppies, sh*t, spend a few days making puppies, because they just don't feel like putting in a full days work for their pay. They can argue and fuss about their job list, they can slam about, they can be rude and obnoxious, because..they have somehow been given the impression they are in charge. Those of us idiots who were brought up in the "old" days, well, we still think that a job is something we must prove we deserve, and we attempt to give our employer our effort in return for their money. I don't really think we are idiots, I think those "new" people are what is wrong in the world today. Those people who do not realize the world does not revolve around them, and someday, reality is going to slap them right in the face.Sadly, right now, they are just slapping the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment