Favourite Books

  • The Green Mile
  • Animal Farm
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Lord of the Rings
  • To Kill a Mockingbird

Monday 25 June 2012

Calm before the Storm

Here it is , almost 12:30AM, got to get up in less than 6 hours, and desperately need at least 8 hours sleep. No, it's not my beauty sleep (that's pretty obvious) it is my survival sleep. If I don't get enough of it, at my ripe old age, it catches up to me, maybe not tomorrow, but for the next 2 nights, I will be toast by 7PM. I will also be even more miserable than usual, not a good thing!
  Why am I still awake? Well, it's those Spidey senses, just tingling away. You know how things tend to get very heavy, and almost scary quiet just before a massive storm? Oh the crickets keep chirping away, in fact they get louder, until that is all you hear, the incredible buzzing, in otherwise silence. You start anticipating, not sure what it is, but, there is something out there heading your way. Your mind starts to try and figure out what it is, but you know whatever it is, you are definitely not prepared.
  I wonder,is this how our ancestors felt, with no TV or radio to warn of impending storms or floods? Oh, it is a sure thing they learned to read the signs in nature, and most of us have forgotten those lessons. Are these senses something we are born with, but there are no classes in school to teach us how to develop? Is your subconscious capable of sending you signals, and are we just not intelligent enough to understand? Of course we all know a person is to trust their instincts, but right now, mine are just snapping about like electrical wires gone amuck.
  Something has caused a short circuit somewhere, and very soon I will see the smoke, I think I am just getting a faint smell right now. I also know, I don't want to see what is causing the smoke. All I know is, that it is impossible to fall asleep with those crickets going insane, and that oppressive heaviness that comes with the calm before the storm.

1 comment:

  1. Jesus, that's pretty grim. Now, I won't be able to sleep. Thanks a bunch. ;)

    ReplyDelete